Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wedding Wednesday: Father's Day Edition

I know what you might be thinking: how could Wedding Wednesday and Father's Day go together? The answer is that my Dad played a huge role in shaping what I looked for in a future husband. I didn't get the chance to write a Father's Day post about how awesome my Dad is, but let me take this opportunity to say that my Dad is single-handedly one of the most inspiring people in my life. 

To describe my Dad in a few words: charismatic, hilarious, caring, compassionate, loyal, selfless. 

Growing up, my Dad lived out the portion of the vows "in sickness & in health". My Mom was sadly diagnosed with cancer twice during their marriage and my Dad stood relentlessly by her side the entire way through. He was not only her emotional rock, but our entire families'. Being an adult now, I can't imagine the weight/pressure of all that he did. He was a best friend/cheerleader for my Mom during her various chemo treatments, a role model/guidance counselor to his children all while maintaining a stressful job in corporate America. Can you say RELENTLESS PERSEVERANCE & LOVE? All the while, I never heard him complain once.
So what this taught me is that (heaven forbid) should anything happen to me is that I wanted a husband who would stand by me if times got tough...a man who would raise my children with compassion and undying love...a man who wouldn't care if I lost my hair and wouldn't think I was less beautiful if I was sick. I realize these are obviously extreme circumstances, but to me, they feel like very real possibilities. Having lost a parent at a young age, your outlook at the risks of life can be a bit distorted. 

The moral of the story: Dustin is that man of great character. He is the man who loves me in my worst hours and cherishes me in the best of days. I am beyond blessed to have found a man like my Dad, one who knows what's important in life and leaves the rest behind.

 photo signature_zpsd45a0dec.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post pretty lady. The two go well together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Its so nice that you see and appreciate those wonderful qualities in your dad and have found them in a husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They absolutely go together...he is the one that walks you down the aisle after all! Sounds like he was the perfect father. I'm sure he set really high standards so your fiance must be a great one. So sorry your family had to go through such hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there. Found you thru Marquis. She mentioned you on her blog today b/c you won a giveaway I do believe. If so congrats. I'm always looking for new bloggers. So I look forward to getting to know you and reading more of your blog. You should also come and check mine out.

    I'm gonna follow you on everything I'm a member of as well. Hope you dont mind. :D I enjoy meeting new and amazing people.

    pinkowl07.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/NightOwlVenting
    https://twitter.com/HotOwlPink02

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on winning Marquis birthday giveaway! Lucky girl :) I was so glad to be a part of it! Come by and say hello sometime! I could always use a new bloggy buddy!
    XO

    ReplyDelete